Introducing the 10 Current Learnings Series. 10 learnings, curiosities and inquiries from this week:
1. A process blog takes time in the process of making art and writing. In the often weeks when I need more time for making and teaching and living than posting, sharing a few bullet point learnings from the week will help me in my process.
2. Listening to 4th graders share writing gives me bravery injections.
3. Seeing writers of all ages opt out of sharing during an exercise, or even participate in writing, reminds me of the vulnerable courage it takes to say no, too. Backing out is a choice I'm learning to respect more than I used to.
4. Snow days and cancellations help me think about time in space in more abundant ways. And control -- how we have none.
5. Goodbyes to a great POTUS, FLOTUS and 8 years of remarkable leadership, and saying hello to new scandals, bad news and fears surrounding a PEOTUS, remind me of the importance of courage, hope, progress, listening and community in art, in making, in living. How can I be more vigilant?
6. I'm interested in the scientific properties of kindness.
7. It's hard to write (for me) in a cold truck for two hours. But rewarding.
8. What is care-taking in art? How can I find and give more love in every action?
9. It's easier to write (for me) while regularly engaged in yoga, walks, Alexander practice, meditation, and other body and spirit energizing acts. How can I be more present and active and still and vibrant?
10. I used to run away from boredom. But maybe it's becoming more worth seeking after. Instead of busy-ness, and packed schedules, and too much muchness. Allowing for boredom, and seeing what creativity moments can generate. Where are the openings?
Process notes on a work in progress. This page serves to invite you into the way I work, with intermittent posts to show you the hows and whys on the whats I make.